Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Inspiration


My daily reflection talks about the joys of sharing with newcomers. I have found as a newcomer that many people within my village have been very gracious and hospitable towards me. I have been in and out of AA for the last few years, but it wasn’t until I was fully present that I was able to feel the atmosphere. This really helps me with feeling at ease enough to share a bit. Most of the times I listen as I have heard old-timers with much sobriety continue to preach that even they still need to “shut the hell up and listen.”

As I read, I am struggling with relating it to my current situation. As pointed out in my study group, many of the things that Bill W was dealing with and people were much worse off than things are today. For example Bill W had tremendous delirium tremens (DT’s) often and consumed many bottles of liquor and ale daily. Although he had spots of dry spells, when he drank it was a lot over an extended period of times and he was in and out of the hospital often. Also, when Bill W was in recovery he would work with other alcoholics who were similar in their drinking patterns. Specifically, the alcoholics Bill W would work with were in the gutters, had lost everything or where in the psychiatric hospital strapped down. Although this was a direct reflection of the era it is a far cry from how things are today. However I am drawn to the era intellectually. I find the AA readings and other readings of the era fascinating. There is something about the early part of the century that I like learning about.
I was in a meeting today with a gentleman who was celebrating his 44th sober birthday. Right at the end of the meeting he reached over and said “you’re the most important person in the room. Keep coming back.” What an inspiration. I will keep coming back.

David J 


No comments:

Post a Comment