Monday, March 4, 2013

meetings


I continue to struggle with writing daily, but I will try and at least write as often as possible. I attempted to go to a meeting on 3/1 but there were some problems. First, I had to catch a bus that I was not familiar with and plan out some timing so I could make it at the 6pm that it supposedly started. So I did this and after walking a few blocks managed to get there early. There were 2 women at the meeting portion of the Alano club who were sitting and smoking, so I sat down and read the monthly newsletter from front to back. I waited until 6pm before I noticed the sign that said there was an NA meeting at the scheduled time of the AA meeting. I was a bit frustrated as the meeting schedule for the area indicated otherwise. I decided to make the best of it and wait the half hour for the AA meeting. However, I noticed that as people trickled in for the meeting, they were smoking. I am not a smoker and did not want to sit through an hour and a half meeting with lots of smoke so I gave up and left. Jumped to bus and headed towards another preplanned destination and continued with the rest of my evening.

On 3/2 I attended a book study which was good. It was only an hour and I was able to make it over to the recovery store to pick up a 12x12 miniature for me to tote around, for these days I try to travel light. Again I got frustrated at the situation when the store clerk said I had to spend $10 to use my credit card and I was about $4 short. “your killin me” I stated and searched around for something else to purchase in order to meet the criteria. I picked up a big book dictionary for $6 and this would surely put me over the mark and I had been meaning to pick one up anyway. Still, I hadn’t planned to pick one up today but it happens.

On 3/3 I attended my regular big book study. The place where it is held is actually quite nice. It is at a resort close to my house. A new age church rents space at the resort and one of the persons involved with the church leads a non affiliated AA big book study every Sunday evening. We are on chapter 3. There is a lot of sobriety in the meeting (less me), but it is a small meeting to say the least. Last week there was only 3 of us including the facilitator. This time there was 5 including the leader. I like it because it is small and very thorough. We go through a paragraph at a time and discuss relevancy every pause. Very cool.

Davidj

No comments:

Post a Comment