Monday, March 25, 2013

Serene scene

I went to a study group yesterday. It is one that I really enjoy. I will describe it now.

Thankfully I am able to get a ride to my Sunday study group both to and from. My ride dutifully showed up on time and we headed off to the group. We arrived early to the group which is located in the downstairs area of a resort/retreat. The resort is over a century old and encompasses a large acreage area. The area has a rather large gardening plot with everything from vegetables to fruit trees. In addition to the spa services it also holds a greenery labyrinth and a new age type church that rents a portion of the grounds. The portion of the grounds that the new age church rents is where the meeting is and on the way up from the driveway one can smell the stark flowers in bloom, specifically I believe it was the lilacs that enriched my senses yesterday. The meeting is held in a building set against a small set of mountains within a stone’s through of thick shrubbery and trees that are very green this time of year. The building itself is in the Mission tradition sporting pale pinkish and light aqua trimming and roofing. The building has a full dining room and kitchen area the size of a small resort and can hold roughly 100 people for feeding. There is a retreat area above the lower rooms where we have our meeting. The retreat area is filled with lounge chairs and an oversized couch in front of a enormous round rock covered fireplace that, I was told was built by Native American Indians. The windows throughout the building are historic sporting tempered glass and wooden frames opening outward without screens. I always remark to myself that I would hate to have to clean all the windows or more so replace them should they break. All sides of the multi-sided building are covered with these windows so much so that I also often wonder what the heck is holding up the building.

The actual study meeting is small and quaint usually sitting around one 8’x4’ rectangular table. There is Captains Chair’s at each end which is kind of offsetting considering the table is one of those plastic ones that easily folds up which we do every meeting and put away the chairs as well. In addition, there is coffee available every meeting and good camaraderie along with fellowship afterwards if anyone is interested. I am grateful to have such a fine place to meet with those who continue to help me in my recovery.
David j

No comments:

Post a Comment