Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Goodbye letter


I actually wrote this on 1/24 at the behest of a counselor I was working with in my rehab. It started off very simple, but she made me redo it and this is what I came up with (verbatim)…

Dear Alcohol,

You suck elephant balls! I really have nothing to say to you. You have been a Fricken monkey since I was a kid. Just when I thought I could drink responsibly you made sure I was kicked in the head. I don’t have much resentment in me. I never have. But I hold a special place in my heart full of resentment especially for you. I will never make amends with you because all you do is cause hurt, pain and anguish. It is your nature. It is evident that you are full of turmoil and discontent for your history is lengthy and documented within every piece of historical that has been produced. Like religion you have been snaking around since the dawn of humans. You create havoc and anarchy wherever you go. Your motto is that you pride yourself on being the devils playground. Sometimes you kill people quickly. Other times you spitefully kill people slowly but assuredly. You really are cunning and merciless in your practices. Sometimes you romance people into thinking that you are good and healthy. “Take communion” it is “the blood of Christ”, “a glass or two of wine a day is healthy!” Your tentacles are far reaching across every culture and ethnicity. You are water’s evil cousin.
                I have had my battles with you. I never win. I would try and try to have a comfortable relationship with you but it always went sour. Nearly all bad things in my life have involved you. You have interfered with my relationships, my job, my education and my environment. You are a Fricken beast to be reckoned with. I have never truly felt good around you, it was always a false sense of euphoria.
                However, like David and Goliath I am getting my slingshot ready to take you down once and for all. I am using my resources that you have blinded me from. I am putting on my armor everyday and wielding my sword in your direction. Every day I am sober you become weaker. Every day you try to tempt me I do a body check to make sure I have my armor intact. Every day I read and study you I understand your motives better.
                I am powerless over my addiction, but ii have a higher power on my shoulders. You may have a few more tricks up your sleeves but there is one think you cant take away from me anymore. My ability to exploit my free will. My ability to choose to be a good person. My ability to be of service to someone in need who is still in battle with you. Although you have been faithful to me I refuse to be in a relationship with you anymore. I have a new love and her name is sobriety. She is honest, practices serenity and has agreed to be faithful as long as I am. I have committed to her my life with the blessing of her father my higher power.
May you dry up and burn in hell!
Sincerely,
David J

No comments:

Post a Comment